The League of Women Voters works to encourage informed and active participation in the democratic process through voter registration, education and the promotion of fair, active and open government. The League of Women Voters of Jefferson County, WV neither supports nor opposes candidates but is engaged in local, state, and national issues of importance to our community. We encourage you to explore our website, attend our forums, and become a member.
Our League is involved in several ongoing projects. Please contact the League if you are interested in participating.
- Member engagement with member socials
- Voter participation, turnout, and registration
- County budget and funding growth
- Water resource issues: protection, conservation, utilization
- Money in politics
- Library funding: adequate, predictable, sustainable
- Observer Program
League WV Legislative Priorities for 2017:
- Maintaining West Virginia’s water quality standards to protect this valuable resource
- Strengthening disclosure requirements for the sources of political campaign expenditures, including independent expenditures and election-related communications
- Supporting measures that encourage investment in energy efficiency in West Virginia’s homes, businesses, and industries such as the LEEP program
- Maintaining expanded Medicaid coverage for the hundreds of thousands of West Virginians who rely on it for health care
- Voter Registration: A national, state and local priority for the League of Women Voters is to support and encourage voter registration for all eligible citizens.
- Candidate Forums: In carrying out our mission of encouraging informed and active participation in government, the League of Women Voters continues to be key sponsors of candidate debates and forums. When dates have been set, our Calendar will provide details about upcoming local forums.
- November Legislative Breakfast: This annual event is held in November to allow the constituents time to speak with their representatives regarding issues of concern they would like addressed in the next Legislative session.
- Legislative Roundup: Spring of every year we invite our representatives to meet with their constituents to report highlights of the Legislative session.
- Observer Program: The League of Women Voters has been an active champion of openness in government throughout its history. In pursuit of this goal locally, the League of Women Voters of Jefferson County has established an “observer program” to monitor the actions of the county government. Local members have volunteered to attend meetings of the County Commission, the Planning Commission, and the Board of Education. Read more…
- Topic Forums: Our local LWV holds numerous educational forums on topics of interest and importance to the citizens of Jefferson County.